Saturday, October 12, 2013

Review: The Drake Equation [Contemporary]






Goodreads
She’s a Democrat, he’s a Republican. She spends her days fighting global warming at an environmental non-profit, he makes his living doing PR for Bell Motors and their fleet of SUVs. But as soon as they meet, Emily Crossley and Robert Drake realize they have encountered their intellectual match. You’re never challenged, he tells her. You’ve surrounded yourself in a cocoon of people who think exactly the same way you do. She hurls the same accusation back at him, and the fiery debates begin. Despite both of their attempts to derail it, there is no denying that they are falling in love. But their relationship is threatened by political differences, Robert’s excessive work hours, and Emily’s fear of losing her identity as she falls deeper in love. Can their love survive? The Drake Equation is a tale of modern love and all its complexities.

Review

#1 love this cover. Love love love love love love love love love this cover and its correlation to the story. <3 And the cute title and IT's correlation to the story. 

I found it a bit hard at first to get into all the political talk and republican/ democrat switch-overs. But at some point, I was able to follow along and understand what was going on (for the most part) and learn a little something new. And It is also not lost on me how difficult it is to write two separate characters with two opposing views- and have them congenial about it. You know how crazy people get about their politics. Politics and religion- 2 crazy argument starters. 

I think it was strange, but nice, how the book is about trying to protect the environment.. but focusing on something small in order to make a difference. The main character works for a small company that tries to convince people to help save the environment a little bit everyday.. by giving up their SUVs. But I thought it was a cool idea for the book. The book not only tells a love story, but tries to get a message across as well. The message sort of made me feel uncomfortable since I have a Ford Explorer.. but still. Nice message. (: 

I have been a little bit back and forth about the rating of the book. I know the book was centered on Emily- duh. I mean, it's her story. But I just feel like I needed to get a little bit from Robert's point of view.  We get her take on the annoyance and struggles of dating someone with such opposing views. And that is not even that much of a problem- really. She gets crazy about her views and raises her voice.. but he is calm and steady about his. They sort of balance each other out- which I like. 

The reason I want to touch on him more is because there is a period in the book where Emily notes faraway looks in his eye and he goes through some serious problems.. And he works them out and they are solved offstage. I wanted to know what was going on and how he worked through them. I liked him as a character and wanted to read a bigger part of his  hardships.

I get a great front row seat to all of Emily's problems, anger, and fall from grace. And I get to see how she picks herself back up. He goes through all that and I was like WHAT IS GOING ON because the reader is not really a part of it. So.. I may have stayed on that subject for a little while. The point being- I did not feel a very strong connection to him as a character because I was not in his head as well. But that is a personal preference and I am crazy.. so. yeah. 

Emily, though.. I got to know her all too well. I like how the events, characters, and realizations in this book are real and believable. There was nothing I can question. Everything was - to my knowledge- plausible.

Also.. some of the story felt... like I was reading about what happened from far away from the situation. like.. "It happened" this way. or I cannot recall exactly how that section was written, but I was not the biggest fan of how I was given the information. I was a bit disappointed in that instance. Oh, maybe I can explain it better. It felt like.. I was reading a summary of the story instead of the actual story. If.. that makes sense. I think that was only for a little part of the book, though. Other than that, smooth reading. 

I still like the author's writing style. I did not put the book down the whole time I was reading it. It held my interest, which is great. The supporting characters were cool. I laughed a little and was a little upset at certain times. So a check mark for the emotions. I learned something new about.. politics. Which I hate. But it wasn't too horrible. So.. *thumbs up*

All in all, cute read. A love story with a little something deeper in the mix. And a creative title and cover to go along with a good story. (: 


Rating: 3.5



 photo RyanFOXBIGGER_zpsebe33d61.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

WE CRAVE INTERACTION. Well, that sounded desperate..lol.. ;) Leave a comment, crack a joke, ask a question, or just share something fun. Don't matter to us... as long as there is no SPAM or HATE. ): Unless it's the food- spam. We love that....